Thursday, July 3, 2008

Double House Fire in Logan

This fire fighter is dousing a porch fire with a personal drinking water bottle! Keep in mind there are at least 3 water pump trucks and a huge ladder truck all parked within 100 or so feet...Even funnier their was a garden hose with a sprinkler running on the lawn about 8 feet from him and another sprinkler running out on the front lawn too both of which ran constantly during the whole event... The Herald Journal printed the firefighter water bottle picture on page A4 of the July 4th 2008 paper, and included a little blurb it being a possible award winner and about my ability to get great ironic photos and my past photo contributions to the paper.

I am all for low tech and using what you have at hand, and I can only think of one funnier way to douse a fire! If you look close (or click on the image for a closer view) you will notice a stream of water coming from his water bottle and about to make contact with the smoldering porch roof.

The fire happened at 80 North 500 West in Logan on July 2, 2008. It was a 1 alarm fire rumored to have been started by grand children with fireworks... Leading to a burned out car, and car port and part of the house as well as the neighbors back porch... The fire was first detected by passers by when a propane tank that was in the blaze exploded...



The photo below shows a North Logan fire fighter and his co-firefighter spraying a short blast of foam at the fire still smolder away in the back are of the house... I love the intensity of their faces and the back splashing caught in action of the foam fire retardant.


If I get some time I might post a few more from the fire, but these two are my favorite action shots...


On a personal note I love shooting these intense and news worthy events in the community, it makes my heart race, my adrenaline pump and makes me feel alive and like I have something to contribute. Too bad from what I can tell photo journalism is the one of the most competitive photo fields and at the same time one of the very worst paying...


For now my occasional news photo coverage it is a charitable contribution for the community.

To pay the bills I will stick with Weddings, Portraits, Commercial, and Fine Art.




1 comment:

Munk Family said...

Wow! I love all of your photos, you are such a great photographer. I am so excited to look at your blog from time to time, which is almost everyday cause I like to see what new things people add. I hope all is going good for you and hope to see you soon!
Danielle Munk